Wednesday, January 27, 2010

FEAR


How do we deal with FEAR! lately she seems afraid of EVERYTHING. any surface that is different than the one she is walking on, going from the grass to the road, the ramp up to the office, the stairs up to the House, the car, strange dogs, almost anything NEW!
I really was at my wits end as to how to deal with any of this as none of these fears made sense to me and even food did not seem to help her resolve the problem. So we faced them head on shall we say. I borrowed our daughters 13 year old Jack Russell for the week-end. We got them together for the first time down on the beach ( neutral territory) then after a nice LONG run to tire Heddy out we started for home taking Abby with us. While Abby was with us we worked on all of Heddys problems. walking up and down steps and ramps and all sorts of surfaces that I could find. It was hard for her to refuse to go when she was coupled together with Abby. So off she went no fear, By the time Abby went home ( I am sure she was happy to leave) Heddy had forgotten she was afraid.
I wondered what would happen when we went back to class on Tuesday. I needn't have worried. The instructor new what she was talking about Heddy was out from under the chair and rough housing with the other puppy's during the socialization time. Doing pretty good on her class work of sit and Down too if a Proud Momma is allowed a small brag.

No comments:

Post a Comment