Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The trip

Oh dear where do I start? I have never done this before. never written a blog and certainly never attempted to raise a Border Terrier.
Well so that I do not forget one shall we say delightful yes that's the word , moment of her life I will attempt to write about it. It will take a few days to catch up as we have been together for 26 Days but I will give it a go.
After Our WONDERFUL Rottweiler and Standard Poodle died at the ripe old age of 12 and 13 and our daughter married and took her dog with her we decided to be dogless. well that lasted for two years. The we began to miss having a lap warmer and companion that loved you no matter how rotten the day was.
My husband has always loved the look of the Border Terrier so we started the investigation into getting a PUPPY. I started getting in touch with breeders in December thinking we would add a puppy in the spring or summer when the weather was nice and we returned from Hawaii. But Heddy had other ideas about that.
Betsy Bly wrote back and we started talking. after a few e-mails she casually told me she might have a puppy that I would be interested in. So we talked a while and even though it was JANUARY and the puppy was a Red Grizzle ( I had thought I wanted a Blue and Tan) when my husband saw the picture of Heddy he was in LOVE.
So on January 1, 2010 we left Delaware and drove to IN would have been about a 10 hour trip but we drove into a WINTER SNOW STORM we finally arrived around 10:00 PM. came in and met the family. Heddy's Mom and Dad knew just what to do they totally ignored me and devoured my husband my lap was empty and HE HAD TWO DOGS in his lap. Needless to say he was smitten with the breed.
Betsy then went and got Heddy she was adorable. so terrified at first she hid under a chest for a very few moments. then popped out sniffed us and ran back under. We brought her a couple of new toys. She claimed a stuffed Raccoon grabbed it and tore off to her bed to hide it. But she could not stand being ignored for long and kept coming back to see what we were.
With in a very short time she was climbing all over both of us needless to say any thought I had of wanting any other puppy than her were gone. We sadly said good night to her and Betsy and went to our Hotel for the night. the next day we got up very early and after stopping at Walmart for a blanket and Puppy Coat ( it was that COLD) back to Betsy's to picked up our precious cargo and were on our way.



NOW let the fun begin. how do you get a puppy to pee and poop on a leash in the snow that has NEVER been out before ?
Well we saw every road side rest between Indiana and Delaware and it took her 6 hours to Pee her new Dad finally cleared the snow from a patch of grass every time we stopped. What a man will do for love. We arrived home around Midnight all of us very tired but HAPPY.

No comments:

Post a Comment